The Harmony Public Library and the Harmony Arts Board in collaboration with Riverside Concerts, Arts Midwest, the Mayo Clinic and the Southeastern Minnesota Arts Council present Traditional Eastern European Jewish music from the KLEZMATICS on Thursday, February 27, 2014 at 7 PM at the JEM Theatre in Harmony, MN. Admission is free. Refreshments to follow the performance.
The Klezmatics are world-renowned and Grammy-winning superstars whose music is steeped in Eastern European Jewish tradition and spirituality, while incorporating contemporary themes such as human rights and anti-fundamentalism with eclectic musical influences including Arab, African, Latin and Balkan rhythms, jazz and punk.
In the course of over twenty years they have released nine albums of wild, spiritual, provocative, reflective, and ecstatically danceable music, forever redefining and transcending traditional labels.
The Klezmatics have collaborated with numerous musical luminaries including folk hero Arlo Guthrie, classical legend Itzhak Perlman, Israeli pop icons Chava Albertstein and Ehud Banay, beat poet Allen Ginsberg, The Master Musicians of Jajouka, Ben Folds Five, and Kosher Gospel singer Joshua Nelson.
Their work has extended to numerous theater, film, dance and television projects, including Pulitzer Prize Winning playwright Tony Kushner’s “A Dybbuk” and “It’s An Undoing World”, and Pilobolus Dance Theatre’s “Davenen”.
The Klezmatics have reached millions through performances and features on CBS’s Late Night with David Letterman, PBS’ Great Performances, BBC’s Rhythms of the World, BBC’s John Peel Show, various NPR programs (A Prairie Home Companion with Garrison Keillor, New Sounds Live and Soundcheck), CBS’s Nightwatch, FOX’s After Breakfast, MTV News, and Sex and the City. Additionally, their song “NY Psycho Freyelkhs” is a theme song for Air America Radio’s The Al Franken Show.
They have performed in over twenty countries at some of the most storied venues and renowned festivals worldwide, including Central Park Summerstage, Carnegie Hall, Pirineos Sur (Spain), Colours of Ostrava (Czech Republic), Pohoda Festival (Slovakia), Jazzsomer Graz (Austria), and the Heimatklänge Festival (Germany).
The Klezmatics have garnered numerous awards and accolades throughout their career, including a 2006 Grammy Award for Best Contemporary World Music Album (for Wonder Wheel: Lyrics by Woody Guthrie), a New York Jewish Music Award (Best Klezmer Band, 2006), a GLAMA (Gay and Lesbian American Music Award) and the German Critics Award (twice), and have topped the Billboard world music charts on numerous occasions.
This event is a free concert preview of a full length performance that will take place in Rochester, MN at the Mayo Civic Center Presentation Hall on Saturday, March 1 at 7:30 PM
Click on the Pictures below to view their pages. The roster you can print, fill out and bring in to the Harmony Public Library. The Library must have your roster filled out and in the library by February 7th, 2014.
Welcome once again to the Harmony Public Library’s Hot Reads for Cold Nights Winter Reading Program. We are doing an Olympic Themed Monopoly Game this year. Come into the library to get your monopoly board and start reading those books. HEre are the rules for our Fantasy Winter Olympics and the Olympic Monopoly Read:
Fantasy Olympics Rules
- You can choose one athlete/team per sport event. You are not limited to a specific country.
- Fill out your roster and submit it to the Harmony Public Library before (12:00 noon on) Friday, Feb. 7th, 2014. NO changes will be allowed after the Olympics begin.
- Choose one country to serve as a tie-breaker. If there is a tie at the end of the Fantasy games, the person whose country won the most medals overall, will win the Fantasy games.
- The following point system will be used:
- Gold Medal = 3 points
- Silver Medal = 2 points
- Bronze Medal = 1 point
- Total possible points = 282.
Rules for the Olympic Reads
- There will be a medal/prize for the most books read in each of the following genres/sports discipline:
- Romance/Figure Skating
- Christian Fiction/Speed Skating
- History/Ice Hockey
- General Fiction/Skiing
- Science Fiction/Snowboarding
- Any 2 Genre Combination/Biathlon
- For the first book you read in each Monopoly Property (Yellow, Orange, etc.), you will get 3 points (same as for a gold medal). The second book will be 2 points, and the third book and every book thereafter will be 1 point.
- For each chance you take, you will get 3 points for your first book, 2 points for your second book, and one point for your third book. After three books, it is no longer taking a chance.
- There will also be prizes given out for the following:
- Matching points in Fantasy Olympics and Olympic Monopoly Reads.
- Reading a book in each Sport Discipline/Genre.
- Reading the most books overall.
- Grand prize for the most points awarded.
- Prize for taking every chance on the Monopoly Board.
- Prize for filling up the Monopoly Board completely.
- Prize for Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals in Fantasy Olympics.
- Prize for Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals in the Olympic Monopoly Reads.
- Prize for writing 5 book reviews to be printed in the paper.
Join Us on Saturday, November 16th at 11:00am
at the Harmony Public Library, 225 3rd Ave SW
For an exciting time making portable sewing kits.
Portable sewing kits were an essential accessory during the Civil War that could be rolled up and fit easily into pockets. These “housewives” would securely store thread, pins, and notions. During a workshop offered by the Minnesota Historical Society, participants will create modern versions of these popular kits.
Call to Register:
Class Hosted by the Harmony Public Library
¨ Beginner’s Class:
Tuesday, November 12th
and Wednesday, November 13th - 5:00-9:00pm
¨ Refresher Class:
Thursday, November 14th – 5:00-9:00pm
@ the Harmony Public Library which is located in the Harmony Community Center @ 225 3rd Ave SW
From September 16th through September 30th, Join us in Reading Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth on your computer, Kindle, Nook, iPhone, iPad, etc. Let’s see how many people we can get reading this book!
Fancy Nancy: Nancy Clancy, Super Sleuth is the first in a series of delightful middle-grade mysteries. Sassy Fancy Nancy is now a detective. When one of her classmate’s most special possessions disappears from school, it’s up to Nancy to save the day. With the help of her friend Bree, she follows the clues to an unexpected source.